Female Molly. Check out the second fin (rear) on the bottom of the fish.
Molly Species > Quick Stats
Plants/Algae, and other type green foods are absolutely necessary for good molly health.
Ever hear the term "Just add water and voila!"? That's basically all you need to do to breed a livebearer!
Mollies tend to prefer a temperature around 76°F.
This site was created to get straight to the point. Below are some tips on keeping Mollies. If you need more information navigate to the related web links section. Send any additional information or questions to Ask An Expert
Mollies are nice peaceful fish. Sometimes they will attempt to chase others around a bit, but do not hurt them in most instances. Mollies do best in a group with a few males and several females. Mollies are good tank mates for Swordtails, Platies, Angel Fish, Corydoras Catfish, Plecostomus, and Bigger Tetras such as Black Skirts, Red Serpaes, and Silver Tips.
|Popular Molly Hybrids
Gold Dust Molly
Platinum Lyretail Molly
Pot Belly Mollies
Sail Fin Mollies
Dalmatian Sail Fin Molly
Sail Fin Metallic Molly
Molly Species: Key Points, Tips & Tricks - Mollys Q/A
- A freshwater fish, they can adapt to a variety of salt levels in an aquarium, up to and including pure saltwater.
- It is a misconception that acclimation to a marine environment must be done slowly over a period of at least several days to allow their bodies time to adjust and minimize stress.
- Different varieties will interbreed, so don't mix and match different varieties if you want to maintain pure varieties.
- Mollies will live for between 3 and 5 years and can grow to 5". Rarely mollies live longer and grow bigger.
- There is an apparent myth in molly lore indicating that females may reverse their sex and become large males, This myth probably generated because late-maturing males are physically similar to females and grow to large size before beginning to mature.
- It can be noted, on occasions, molly fry began to pick off ich just like a cleaner fish.
- Available marine varieties include the Green Sailfin Molly (wild), Silver Sailfin Molly, Black Sailfin Molly, Dalmation (Mottled) Sailfin Molly, Gold Sailfin Molly, Black Sphenops, Yucatan Mollies and others. The sailfin varieties tend to get larger than most others, - three to six inches long (7.5 - 15 cm), but are quite gentle with other fish. The Yucatan mollies tend to remain small, about two inches (5 cm).
- Mollies are not generally long lived due to their deep hybridizations.
- All varieties of mollies are livebearers meaning internal fertilization, and subsequent development of the eggs occurs inside the body of the female fish.
- The male livebearer has what is called a rod-like copulatory organ called a "gonopodium", situated on the lower belly area. (the gonopodium is a modification of the anal fin).
- Black Mollies give birth to 20-60 fry, time between mating and birth, 40-70 days. Sailfin Mollies give birth to 20-80 fry, time between mating to birth, 20-80 days. Velifera Mollies give birth to 30-200 fry, time between mating and birth, 60-70 days.
Molly Species: DO'S - Mollys Q/A
- Peaceful fish that prefer a degree of salinity in their water; adding one teaspoon of aquarium salt per two gallons of aquarium water is highly recommended
- Mollies are especially prone to "shimmies", this can be cured with the addition of 2 teaspoons of salt per gallon and an increase in temperature to about 80°F.
Molly Species: DONT'S - Mollys Q/A
- Feed them only flake food. They need plant matter in their diet to be healthy.
- Make sure your tank has some salt in it.
Molly Species Care Sheet - (PETCO.com)
Follow the above recommendations and you should have a joyful betta experience. Send any questions, comments or pictures to Ask An Expert If you are interested in helping out visit our contributions page.