Loaches Species > Quick Stats
Feeding is not much of a problem as loaches will eat anything and everything.
Loaches have been successfully bred in the home aquaria but usually only by accident.
They are very hardy, well adaptive aquarium members.
This site was created to get straight to the point. Below are some tips on keeping Loachess. If you need more information navigate to the related web links section. Send any additional information or questions to Ask An Expert
Most loaches are peaceful fish clown loaches with a male and female paradise gouarmi with no problems. Angels and loaches aren't a good mix because the hyper loaches are active mostly at night, and this can seriously disturb angels. It sometimes works, but don't count on it. Mixing large, active nocturnal fish with peaceful, diurnal fish often causes problems. Varies with species, from the ultra-peaceful khuli loach, to the boisterous clown loach, to the semi-aggressive yo-yo loach.
Loaches Species: Key Points, Tips & Tricks - Loaches Q/A
- Loaches are almost all imported from Asia.
- Most loaches like to be in groups. There are friendly loaches and there are mean loaches. There are large loaches and there are small ones. The size ranges from a foot to an inch.
- Kuhlis like to be kept in groups, and they're much braver this way. They also come out at night to hunt, so if you drop in some food after lights out your loach will have more luck.
- Clown Loaches don't breed in captivity and not until they are a foot long, but lately, I heard that the Univeristy of Florida had found a secrete formula funded by Florida fish farmers to successfully bred Clown loaches at much smaller size.
- Loach anatomy generally reflects their bottom dwelling lifestyles. Their mouths face downwards and are equipped with prominent fleshy barbels that are well equipped with taste receptors.
- Loaches are easy fish to keep in the aquarium. Some (such as the weather loach) come from colder waters throughout Europe and so do better in tanks that are kept below 24C, whereas those loaches (such as the Pangio and Botia species) come from tropical Asia, and do better in temperatures above 24C.
- Often, aquarists will go weeks at a time between "sightings." Don't let this last statement prevent you from trying some of these fishes.
- Several species are available for aquariums and all of them have similar requirements: medium pH and a temperature of about 76 degrees.
- They like to nap, and sometimes they will not look for a bed and just lay on the gravel on their side sleeping.
Loaches Species: DO'S - Loaches Q/A
- The Botia species have a special fondness for snails and will rid your tank of any snails very quickly.
Loaches Species: DONT'S - Loaches Q/A
- Whatever you feed them, consider using a gravel of a fine consistency rather than hard-edged pebbles since the fish can injure themselves digging into the gravel for food.
Loaches Common Species Care Sheet - (PETCO.com)
Follow the above recommendations and you should have a joyful Loach experience. Send any questions, comments or pictures to Ask An Expert If you are interested in helping out visit our contributions page.